Applications for the 2019 LIME Connection Bursary are now closed.
To support the participation of students and community members in LIME Connection VIII, bursary places were offered to Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori medical students, as well as to community members who work with medical schools and have a strong interest in Indigenous health. Each bursary covers the costs of registration, travel, accommodation and meals.
This year, bursary places were offered to:
- 20 Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori medical students (in total)
- 9 Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori community members (in total)
The purpose of the bursaries is to:
- Support and encourage those with a demonstrated interest in, and experience with, Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori health education to gain professional development and increased learning in the field
- Provide financial support to students who may be interested in presenting at the conference
- Highlight a community and student commitment to improving Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori health education to other delegates
- Increase and support leadership opportunities for those community members involved with Indigenous health education
- Strengthen the active involvement of students and community with medical schools
- Encourage students to pursue a career in Indigneous health education through collegiality and inclusion.
Successful recipients of the bursary were selected on the basis of their:
- Demonstrated interest and experience with Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and/or Māori health and medical education
- Commitment to improving Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and/or Māori health in the future
- Active involvement with medical schools
- Approval by the relevant LIME Reference Group member.
Funding for Indigenous medical student and community bursaries
LIME Connection VIII student and community bursaries have been funded by medical schools and departments in the following Australian and Aotearoa/New Zealand universities:
- Australian National University
- Deakin University
- Flinders University
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- Macquarie University
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Western Australia
- University of Otago
- University of Wollongong
- Western Sydney University
The bursary covers the costs of airfares, accommodation, meals, conference registration and networking events.
Medical Student Bursary applications are closed. Applicants have been notified of their application outcome
“It exceeded my expectations! I had no idea how amazing how big LIME was and how brilliantly organised it would be. I met a range of likeminded and friendly people who’s friendships I will hopefully keep for life. I was motivated and moved by the speakers and their lessons in improving Indigenous Medical education inspired me to recognise and improve such areas in my own university”
“Thank you so much to everyone who played a part in myself and the other students attending LIME it was a turning point in my medical education and an opportunity I am so proud to have had!”
Join our Network to receive email updates or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for updates on the Bursary scheme.